Total Pageviews

Thursday 20 August 2015

Review: Mrs. Engels

Mrs. Engels Mrs. Engels by Gavin McCrea
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Published: 01/05/2015
Author: Gavin McCrea

I received this book through GoodReads FirstReads competition for free.

I thought that this book was an absolutely brilliant book that was very well written. This book starts off with a warning from Lizzie Brown who is warning us about men, which gives us the perfect outline of what Lizzie Brown is like, the author has managed to capture the characters details in such a way that it very vividly paints a picture of her in the readers mind, she is extremely witty, funny and an all round great character to read about.
In this book Lizzie and Frederick move from the lovely cotton mills in Manchester, which they are very much used to, too London in order to be closer to Karl Marx. Lizzie is a really wonderful central character who seems to readily grasp the new surroundings she finds herself in and gains more confidence throughout the novel. Gavin McCrea is a truly amazing author who manages to make Communism facinating to read about and who makes you feel like you are really there in 19th century London, like you are walking down the streets with them seeing what they are seeing. I could happily read this book again and again and never get bored of it! I love it!
When I was reading this book it really felt like it could have being about an event that had really happened, the descriptions of the surroundings, characters, setting are outstanding they truly capture what it must hae being like to live in that era and place. The novel drew me into it so much that it felt like I was reading a true life story. It really shows how talented the author Gavin McCrea is, if you havent read a book in the historical fiction genre before then I would suggest you try read this one first.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment