Total Pageviews

Thursday 20 August 2015

Review: The World's Wife

The World's Wife The World's Wife by Carol Ann Duffy
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Author: Carol Ann Duffy
Published: 24/09/1999

Okay so I read this book for my gcse english exam and I absolutely loved it! I very rarely give a five star rating but this one definately deserves it, it is packed full of incredible poems. It is a book that has become a firm favourite of mine and one that I could read a million times. When I read this book and had to disect it and find out exactly what the poem was meaning, it pretty much blew my mind!
This book is full of the female version of myth's/legends such as the Mrs Quasimodo version of events that happened, Mrs Icarus, Anna Hathaway. The poems are funny and in some places quite touching especially Anna Hathaway it is possibly my favourite one in the book. I dont really like poetry too much but these ones I found easy to understand, very funny and they are stories that you will remember for a long time. I recommend this book to anyone who has wanted to read it, or has never even heard of it. Carol Ann Duffy is an absolutely incredible poet!
This is also a great book if you are someone who likes books that involve mythology as some of the people featured in the novel are from Greek Mythology but are from the point of view of the partners/wives/sisters of the characters. If you read these poems and look a little bit closer into the poems you can see exactly what the characters are saying and how Carol Ann Duffy id portraying them in such an incredible and talented way.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment